Help Your Skin to be Protected from Age Spots
Majority of us know that age spots are such spots that occur on our skin in our old age. But the reality is young people can get caught by this skin problem. Besides, it is increasing to affect our skin now a day.
These age spots are also known as “liver spots” or “lentigens”. As it occurs on our skin for the frequent long-term sun exposure, younger people suffer from this skin disease. But it is common in adult people over the age of 50 years. Though it can affect every type of skin, it is common for light skin. The open area of the skin that stay exposed to the sun, like the face, hands, our shoulders and the arms, are affected by the age spots more.
Age spots are, in fact, look like brown or black tanned spots that are oval or flat areas on the skin caused increased pigmentation. The size of the spots can vary from the freckle size to a half inch and it always noticeable. Though it looks like cancerous cells, it is harmless.
Reasons for Occurring Age Spots
- The tanned age spots occurred for the overactive cells’ pigmentation. If the skin stays exposed to the sunlight for a long time, it increases the melanin production. Over time, this melanin gets to clump under the skin and leaves brown spots.
- Age spots are also formed for the hormonal imbalance caused at the time of menopause. It reduces the elasticity ability which leads to the wrinkles and age spots and it also reduces the repairing ability of the skin.
A routine skin care and the skin protection from the sun can prevent and treat our skin.
Age Spot Prevention
Though we cannot control our hormonal imbalance issue at our old age, we can stay protected from the sun which will keep our skin safe from the age spots to occur at our young age and also to minimize the severity of these spots at our adult age. To prevent sun exposure, we can protect our skin from the sun by following steps like-
- We should try to stay away from the sun at least at the peak hour. The peak hour for the maximum sun exposure is from 10 am to 4 pm and we should try not to go outside.
- Maintain the regular use of the sunscreen lotion or cream when going outside. The sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before going out and it should be re-applied every 2 hours. The sunscreen should of over 15 SPF.
- Though we use the sunscreen, it is not enough to protect our skin from every type of UD radiation. So, we should be protected using a long beamed hat, long pants or dress, and long-sleeved dress or shirt.
- After coming back from the sun, applying vitamin E oil can be helpful by working as an anti-oxidant that neutralize the molecules of damaged skin.
Treatment for the Age Spots
When you already get caught by the age spots, you should start the treatment as soon as possible either by the medicine or by the home remedies.
An over-the-counter stain-lightening cream works well to fade the spots. It contains a dilute bleaching agent like the hydroquinone or the hydrogen peroxide that helps to reduce the melanin and heal the damaged skin. Besides, other natural bleaching agents work well too.
- Lemon: Applying lemon juice twice per day can heal the age spots by its’ acidic nature.
- The mixture of honey and yogurt: The mixture of honey and yogurt create the natural bleach which can remove age spots. This mixture has to be made with t teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of yogurt and it should be kept on the spot area for at least 30 minutes. For once per day.
- Aloe Vera gel: The gel made manually from the fresh leaves of Aloe Vera work better to slough away the damaged cells of the skin. It enhances the production of new cells too.
- Buttermilk: The lactic acid of buttermilk helps to wipe away the age spots.
- Soda: A mixture of the bicarbonate soda and hydrogen peroxide in the 50:50 proportion with a little amount of water remove the age spots.
- Strawberries: The mixture of strawberries with a small amount of moisturizing cream can remove the spots if it can be used for once a day. It should be kept on the skin only for 15 minutes.
- Dandelions: the sap extracted from the stem of the dandelions can remove the age spots and also rejuvenate the skin. The sap should be kept on the spots for a few minutes for twice a day.
- Papaya: The alpha hydroxy acid of the papaya can heal the age spots. You just have to apply mashed green papaya flesh on the spots and keep it for 20 minutes. It should be applied once a day. Fewer people get caught by the allergy on the skin for the papaya. So, it should be tested for one day.
- Apple cider vinegar: This can be very effective to remove age spots this vinegar should be applied before going for the bed at night and kept for overnight. The use of this once a day for 3 to 4 weeks will give a good result.
- Sandalwood oil: It has the anti-aging agent that can remove age spots. A mixture of a pinch of sandalwood powder, 2 drops of lemon juice, glycerin and rosewater should be applied for 20 minutes. Besides, a mixture of sandalwood essential oil and other carrier oil can be used once a day.
Moreover, the use of chickpeas, tomatoes, potatoes, and castor oil can remove the dark age spots from the skin.
Though the age spots are harmless, these spots should be checked by a doctor at least for once to be sure. Besides, if these spots are darkly pigmented, rapidly increase in size, form an irregular border, itchiness, and an unusual colors combination, it should be checked by the doctor immediately, because it can turn to melanoma.